DIY Garden Bird Bath

This is one of my favorite projects that my daughter and I have made this year. As I have said in earlier posts, my daughter loves gardening. She also loves birds. Recently we made a bird feeder out of an old pickle jar, but Quinn wanted to do more for the birds in our yard. So we decided to make a bird bath.
Things you'll need:
Plastic bowl
PVC pipe (size depends on desired height of bath)
Spray paint
Decorative pebbles
Industrial, waterproof glue
JB Weld
Seashells (optional for decoration)

First I took an old piece of PVC pipe that we had laying around in the garage and I used JB Weld to glue it to a plastic bowl. I just used a cheap plastic bowl that I found for 50 cents. It doesn't need to be fancy, just sturdy. And it needs to fit on top of your PVC pipe.
Next I glued shells around the bottom of the bowl where it connected to the PVC pipe. This helped cover the not so pleasing glue mess I made, and also made the whole bird bath look a little more decorative.

After it was all put together, I spray painted the entire thing minus the inside of the bowl. I left the inside of the bowl untouched mostly because at that point, I hadn't quite figured out how I wanted to attach the decorative pebbles on the inside of the bowl.
I used a spray paint that created a stone effect and texture, which gave my final product a more authentic bird bath feel and look that I really like. I didn't prime the PVC pipe before painting. Honestly I think it would have been better if I did, but I was out of primer and I didn't really want to go back to the store that day. Even without the primer, it's hard to tell that it is made out of plastic pipe and a 50 cent bowl.


The inside of the bowl was the hardest part of this project. I had to work in sections which made it
take a lot longer than I anticipated it would. I used a waterproof industrial glue to create a mosaic design inside the bowl with the glass pebbles. this worked really well, it just took some patience and time. I considered grouting the pebbles in instead, but I was concerned that the inside of the bowl would not grout well and using glue just seemed easier. I spent a couple of days on the inside gluing pebbles and then waiting for them to dry, then repeating the process. I bought one small bag of pebbles and ended up about 4 pebbles short of filling in the entire inside. I probably would have had enough, but my daughter squirreled away some pebbles for later use, as is her usual behavior. So I just put a nice rock in the gap. I figured the birds wouldn't really mind if the rocks weren't all the same, and I wasn't going back to the store to buy a whole new bag for 4 pebbles.


After the gluing and drying, I was ready to put this in the garden and get some water in it! I buried the PVC a few inches in the ground and made sure to pack the dirt around it so that it would stay straight. Poured in a little water and finished!
I am really pleased with how this all came together. I went into this project with very little in the way of a plan and just kind of made it up as I went along for most of it. But it turned out great and it's a great addition to my garden. I hope the birds enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Let me know in the comments if you have some suggestions, or if you made something like this with your own style or creative flair.

Comments

Popular Posts